A good sign is the service; efficient, warm and knowledgeable about the food. I love it when I ask "what's your favorite?" and the person shoots back the what and why they love a particular dish. We followed the recommendations with success:
- Porcini churros with thyme and huckleberry jam. Lightly fried and paired well with the jam.
- Asian pear, chicories, pomegranate, cured ham, idiazabal cheese and long pepper. The cheese had the sharp flavor of cheddar but the texture of a fine, pricey burrata. Wow.
- Kabocha pumpkin, black kale, yuba, sprouting broccoli, coconut milk and peanut. Don't miss this one - the flavors really work!
- Squid and pork belly, jidori egg salad, potato croutons, herb vinaigrette. Another winner.
- Grilled lamb cheeks, chanterelles, cauliflower, almond crumble and douglas fir.
- Yuzu curd, olive oil cake, huckleberries, pinenut brittle, creme fraiche ice cream. With the exception of the olive oil cake (this isn't a favorite of mine in general although I like the concept) this is a light and refreshing dessert. Especially notable was the yuzu curd (that elusive citrusy flavor from Japan!)
- Cinnamon mille-feuille, cardamom, marshmallow, chocolate ganache, burnt honey ice cream. This is a winner (but I love anything with marshmallow).
2224 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA